- About how many members do you have? What is the (approximate) male to female ratio of you SWE members?
- 80 Members but only 1 male.
- How many officers do you have? Do you have an office on campus?
- We have five Executive Officers who do a lot of work but no office.
- Are you a commuter school, or do most students live on campus?
- Almost everybody lives on campus.
- What would you tell someone if they were first coming to your campus?
- Notre Dame is a great place. Our section of SWE is one of the most active clubs on campus. We put on lots of events and are always looking for new members.
- How often does your section attend a Regional or National Conference? How many members usually go for each?
- We attend one Regional and National Conference a year. About 35 students attend the regional conference and 4 attend the national conference.
- Has your section hosted a SWE conference before, or plan to in the future?
- The last time we hosted a conference was in 2006. Maybe it will happen again someday.
- What is your school and/or college of engineering known for?
- For being awesome! Go Irish!
- What are some of the things your section does to archive its history?
- We’ve been working on this lately. We keep a dogbook from year to year of all the members and have been starting a scrapbook.
- Do you have any suggestions on how other sections can keep track of their own history?
- Pictures are the best. Try to take pictures at all events and upload them to a common site.
- Has your section been the home of any famous SWE members or other people?
- Yes, Cathy Pieronek (our advisor), she’s pretty great and very involved with SWE national.
- Describe an event that your section does that relates to (pick one): outreach, your unique section, a social activity, technical learning, professional development, joint events with other organizations, etc.
- One of our biggest events is Engineer-A-Palooza. This was started two years ago but it’s an event put on during the first two weeks of school. Last year we got a blow up obstacle course. The event was a big success and really kicked off the year for the whole college.
- What kind of new events do you plan on starting at your section?
- We’ve got a pretty substantial amount of events but we would like to start some events centered around diversity where we interact with other clubs.
- Does your section interact with other nearby sections?
- Only when we can make it to conference. Otherwise, we are pretty far away.
- What does your section do to attract and retain members?
- We try to really let our members know that they will be doing something worthwhile and all the benefits of national SWE.
- How do you reward members?
- We let their hard work reward themselves.
- Some states get cold in the winter. How do you get members out when it’s cold outside?
- Offer food at every meeting. It really helps!
- How does your section obtain funds to help defray the costs of attending a conference?
- Our school pays for the entire trip (which is very helpful!). We only make members pay if they sign up and then back out.