What’s a Collegiate Interest Group?

A Collegiate Interest Group is for people who want to have a SWE section, but don’t quite meet the qualifications. CIGs are for people who:

  • Attend community college
  • Attend a university that does not have engineering
  • Attend a university whose engineering program is not accredited
  • Attend college outside the USA

If you have friends who are interested in SWE but their school doesn’t have an engineering program, encourage them to form a CIG! The requirements for CIGs are not as strict as those for a collegiate section. For example, they only need four paid members–sections need 10.

The best place to get information about the CIG process is from the SWE website. Scroll to the bottom of the page where it says Starting a Collegiate Interest Group (CIG). Click on the application for becoming a CIG, and it provides the application and requirements.

There is no way to downgrade a section to a CIG, but we’re looking into it this year.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s