WE14, the Society of Women Engineers Annual Conference in Los Angeles is coming up quickly on Oct. 23-25. WE14 is also welcoming members of the International Network of Women Engineers and Scientists (INWES) for ICWES16, making the conference a global collaboration between engineers and scientists. Over 7,000 members will be attending for A Global Exchange for Change. It’s not too late to register!
Here are some tips for making the most of your WE14 experience:
- Attend the career fair, hospitality suites, and company-sponsored events. The 250 employers at WE14 are eager to meet and recruit SWE members. The career opportunities are huge compared to most college and regional career fairs! Don’t forget to dress for success and do your research to make the best impression. The opening ceremony for the Career Fair is when most interview slots are filled, so don’t miss it.
- Meet new people. Conferences are a great chance to network to create professional and personal relationships.
- Learn as much as you can. WE14 provides dozens of professional development workshops and Lightning Talks, not to mention the inspiring keynote speeches, Team Tech presentations, and outreach opportunities such as Invent It. Build It.
- Leave some room in your suitcase. Speaking of corporate sponsors, there are many goodies up for grabs at the conference. A couple of my favorite finds have been an umbrella from Northrop Grumman and a blanket from Toyota. Volunteers also usually get a nice scarf to take home.
- Have some free time? Explore Los Angeles! You can even register to tour local attractions and companies such as SpaceX and Northrop Grumman.
I hope to see you in Los Angeles next week! I’ll be tweeting highlights of WE14 as well, so follow us at @SWERegionH!